My 3 hour glucose experience

It’s 3-hour glucose testing time! I’m sitting in the waiting room at the hospital lab. It’s a little before 6:30 am and I’ve already had my blood drawn once and have been sitting on a liter of sweet drink for about 30 minutes. I’m not sure exactly what to expect. So far LBL 2.0  is jumping around my stomach like I had to fast and then injected a bunch of sugar into my system. Oh, I guess that’s exactly what happened. It doesn’t sound like all offices are the same as mine, but I was put on a 3-day carb “diet” and had to ensure that I ate specific things at each meal. Outside of that I could eat whatever I wanted, but I was so full from eating all that food at each meal that I’ve walked around feeling like a balloon about to pop. I’m not entirely sure if the diet was the diet to follow if this comes back positive, but Bryan thinks it is the diet to try to prevent my body from crashing when the sugar hits my system.


Well, this sure is an exciting “activity.” If Bryan is right, it didn’t work. My body crashed with the sugar rush and I almost passed out in the waiting room. Thankfully there was a receptionist out there with me so I told her I needed to lay down. A dark room and semi-flat surface helped me. I was definitely on the verge of going down – white dots, hot flashes, cold sweat. My biggest concern {outside of walking} was that I keep the drink down so I didn’t have to start over! All is well and I’m feeling 100% again. I can say without a doubt that I don’t want to do this ever again! My body doesn’t handle things well, whether it’s medicine or sugar on an empty stomach.

I’m very thankful that I’m doing this at the local lab where my mother-in-law works. I can’t imagine being at my doctor’s office in the waiting room. I don’t think I would have been able to tell a receptionist that I wasn’t feeling well. If I have to take the 1-hr test ever again, I think I’ll plan on not eating anything before the appointment. I’m pretty discouraged at myself that my lunch probably made me fail it the first time. I’m never a fan of anything related to fasting, but this tops the list!

I can say that the actual blood draw has gone well. My mother-in-law is a pro and much better than the last few people who have drawn me. And she’s a lot better than the lady who gave me my flu shot last week! 🙂


1 thought on “My 3 hour glucose experience

  1. […] wrote about my glucose test experience here. I survived it, barely. The next day I was in a meeting with the team I worked with at the […]

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: